What is Cefixime (Generic Suprax) used for?
Suprax or generic Cefixime is used for treating bacterial infections of various types. The medication which is also known as cephalosporin antibiotic does not work in viral infection viz. Common cold, Flue. Cefixime, like other cephalosporins, stops the disease causing bacteria from spreading or multiplying as it prevents the formation of walls around the cell of bacteria. The cell wall plays a major role in protecting it from environment and helps in keeping the contents of cell intact for its nourishment. The medicine is highly effective in controlling various bacteria viz. Staphylococcus Aureus, Staphylococcus Pneumoniae, Staphylococcus Pyogenes (throat infection), Hemophilius Influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, Salmonella, Shigella and Gonorrhoeae. The generic form of the drug has been approved by FDA in April 1989.
Making the right dose of Generic Suprax
If you are attacked by bacterial infection take the drug dose orally with water with or without food as recommended by your doctor. In adults generally the dose is once in a day while with children it is twice a day or within an interval of 12 hours. In case of chewable tablets, chew them thoroughly and then swallow. The dosage is normally decided on your medical condition and how you respond to the treatment. In children the dosage is invariably based on their weight. The drug works wonderfully if its content level is maintained in body. Therefore the medicine has to be taken at regular intervals without stopping even if you feel better after a few days of treatment. Stopping the drug Cefixime too early may allow bacteria to regroup again and attack your body. Inform your doctor if the condition doesn’t get under control.
Side effects of Generic Suprax
- The most common side effects of Cefixime drug are upset tummy, pain in abdomen, diarrhoea, gas, headache and giddiness. These are short term effects but if they persist for a longer period of time or worsen then you ought to consult your doctor.
- The alarming effects of the medicine can be persistent nausea/vomiting, yellowing of eyes and skin, dark yellow urine, unusual tiredness, abnormal bleeding/bruising, mood swings or lack of concentration.
- In the event of prolonged diarrhoea, stomach pain and blood/mucus in stool you should inform your doctor at the earliest. Repeated medication for a longer time may result in vaginal fungal infection in women.
Precautions to be taken for Generic Suprax
- Before administering the Cefixime inform doctor/pharmacist about your allergies to penicillin or other cephalosporin antibiotics.
- The drug may contain inactive ingredients which can cause allergic reactions or other problems.
- In case of medical history viz. Kidney disease, liver disease or any other lifestyle disease keep your doctor informed.
- In case of pregnancy you should take the drug only when you require.
- In case of nursing mothers they should first consult their doctor as the drug is likely to pass through the breast milk of nursing mothers. This can potentially harm the foetus.
Interaction with other drugs
- In case of your regular drugs of blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid, arthritis or any herbal medication you have to submit the list of medicines you take to the doctor who prescribes you Cefixime. He may alter the dose so as to avoid interaction and subsequent side effects.
- Keep the list of all prescription based or OTC drugs you take.
- Inform your doctor if you take birth control pills. Certain compounds of the drug may render the control pills ineffective and cause accidental pregnancy.
- In case of general diagnosis the result of certain tests may be influenced by this drug. Therefore it is necessary to inform the pathologist and lab in-charge about the use of Cefixime.
Storage process of Generic Suprax
Tablets and suspensions of Suprax should be stored at room temperature 20 to 25 deg C (68 to 77F) in a closed container. Suspension can be refrigerated and stored at room temperature after mixing.